Monday, March 24, 2014

Accidents Happen

Please take a moment to read this.


Tonight, I was in my first car accident with my mom. We were going to Snellville to get my hair cut, and we were merging from River Drive onto Oak Road by QT. A young girl, only 18, was trying to merge into the same turn lane as us without looking. She side-swiped my mom's Lexus, and me never having been in a car accident had a million and one thoughts running through my head. "Is she going to try and flee?" "Was she texting?" 

But no, she wasn't on her phone, she just didn't see us.


Everyone makes mistakes, right?

ABSOLUTELY. 


Out of complete anger, I laid on the horn for my mom as a "Hey, you just hit us…", immediately realizing I was wrong in doing so. The young girl pulled into Advance Auto Parts and we followed, and she quickly jumped out of her car sobbing.  The poor girl is in her first year of college and it's just her and her mom. Her older sister passed away at 23 from a brain tumor, and her father passed away as well. 


My mom asked her to call her mother, and she was afraid and didn't want to. Nevertheless, she called her mom and she showed up about five minutes later. Trying to occupy their minds, my mom started talking to them, and she found out that the mother went back to school for a nursing degree to become a nurse to support her and her daughter. Props. Seriously, I applaud her. The girl was still sobbing and scared out of her mind, as she had previously been in a car accident a very short time back, bringing her close to death. The entire time, my mom stayed calm and hugged her and the mom saying "Everything is okay. Please don't worry." She was able to share her story about her journey with Wegner's disease, chemotherapy, and dialysis as well, fascinating the mom who is a nurse.


The police officer showed up, and it turns out the young girl didn't have shoes or her wallet or her license. Only her mother's debit card to make a quick Taco Bell run. The officer was very kind and let that slide, noticing her state of disarray. He took down information and my mom continued to chat with them. As it turns out, I went to school with this young lady last year, and she was as kind as could be. In all reality, what a small world we live in. An unfortunate incident such as a car accident actually allowing  people to become closer. 


The moral of my story is be kind always. One thing I need to work on is my temper and self control, and learning not to anger so quickly and make assumptions. My heart is in shreds right now, and I wish the best for them. 


I am lucky enough to have a mom like  Karen Twomey, who is SO kind and generous. Even though being hit wasn't ideal, it's a huge blessing in disguise for the young girl to have hit my mom and not someone else who could have dealt with the manner much more inappropriately.  The world needs more people like you mom, and I only aspire to be as amazing as you are one day. Thank you for teaching me tonight what it means to be kind, and I am so beyond thankful that nobody is hurt. What a miracle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment